Powered by Blogger.

The Bureau of Customs and our everyday SONA

Following the previous post on my experience of buying imported goods off the net, I may be able to give a reaction on the recent news regarding the SONA and the dismal review on the Bureau of Customs by our president. But first, on to the parallel story to this.

Is it just me, or does the president looks somewhat like a minion?
(image from inquirer.net)



When I claimed my package last Monday, I was waiting with a father and his daughter (probably a college student). We got to the claiming window almost at the same time and I was behind them in the queue. So we were next to each other when they were called and a piece of scratch paper was handed to them. Three minutes later, my name was called. I noticed they just sat on the benches, and they were looking at me when I told the plump lady I will may for my duties.

About thirty minutes later, I met them outside the BoC's old warehouse (which somehow reflects the agency's morose performance). The father asked me for the amount of duties paid. I answered and he immediately commented on how expensive it was. "Eh ganun po talaga, eh", I replied.

As I was trying to fit all my stuff into one box for easy handling, I noticed there was a CMEC or Philpost guy who was talking, maybe more like whispering to the father and daughter how he will take care of their package and that it will be out by lunch time. Yeah, "take care". That guy had been walking around the warehouse doing nothing at all prior to that. After their hushed conversation, he threw a piece of paper which seemed like a receipt onto the nearby trash bag.

There is corruption within the government. But take notice that corruption within the government will not happen if us ordinary people will not be the typical enablers we Filipinos are notorious for. I may not know the reason why the father agreed to "arrange" for the duties, but my point is, corruption happens because we allow it to happen.

Corruptions starts within us yet we continuously finger point at the government officials. A lady is accused of using government funds for her daughter's Chanel. A teacher (not mine) takes school supplies from her students and use them as his sons' school supplies which will be submitted to their respective schools. An ordinary office employee takes home office snacks to give to his family. A father and his daughter agree to not paying the duties for importing and opted to bribe a government worker. A contractor pushes for an unsafe but cheap design over a more expensive but reliable one because money, yet he spends lavishly on wines when he dines outside. Middle class family netting around 100,000 php a month still lives in the squatters' area because it is cheap.The list goes on and on...

Unless all of us will take the time to get a good look on our own actions and act accordingly, corruption will remain. Kahit sabunin pa lahat ng mga nasa gobyerno. Do remember the metaphor of pointing a finger at someone: our other fingers would point at us back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.