Powered by Blogger.

Review: Mentholatum Sunplay Clear Water SPF 50 PA+++

Summer or not, I am adamant with sunscreen use, and recently, a local drugstore is finally selling one of the sunscreens I've been dying to try. Surely, the wait was totally worth it and I'm happy I can share this product with everyone. Here's my review for Mentholatum's Sunplay Clear Water Sunscreen, with SPF 50 and PA+++.



Price and Availability: I originally thought this product was no longer available from Watsons. Thankfully, I saw this sunscreen in Watsons Eastwood branch about a month ago. I thought I was just lucky to find one of the last few bottles of the product until I was informed by Rae that Watson's is selling this sunscreen again. I bought it for less than 400 php, which is a fair price for drugstore Japanese sunscreen.

Texture and Scent: Clear Water fortunately has no irritatingly frilly scent, perfectly on to my preference. The one of the slight caveats about this product is how watery it is - this is the runniest by far even when compared to other alcohol-based sunscreen. And because of its fluidity, it may be hard to apply it on your face without some product trickling down your fingers. Yeah, it's an involuntary hand sunscreen. But alas, this runny texture is so amazing on the skin - application is very smooth and the sunscreen is quite light. Putting this on is such a pleasant experience, you might be inclined to put more, guaranteeing the 1/4 tsp requirement for the face.

Old packaging is old. Which doesn't matter as long as the product
is not yet expired.
Ingredients:  (link from COSDNA): Clear Water uses a combination of physical and chemical filters, zinc oxide and ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate. It also has a lot of silicones as main ingredients, which is probably the reason for the slippery, silky feeling this sunscreen gives. This sunscreen has alcohol in it, so Clear Water may not be suitable for dry to very dry skinned individuals.

Finish: Upon application, the fluid leaves a watery, and slippery film which quickly dries to a matte finish - faster than any other sunscreen I've used. Initially, I thought this product gave a white cast, which I later found out to be due to uneven distribution of product on my face. By patting it about my face to quickly and evenly distribute the drying fluid, the finish is perfect - no white cast, smooth and matte. It also worked so well with my BB cream, too.

Rating: As of today, this sunscreen is the best one I've used so far, suprassing Biore's UV Perfect Face Milk in terms of availability and price. It has a perfect finish and texture and I highly recommend it to everyone with normal to oily skin. HG!

Ingredients: 4/5
Value for money: 5/5
Performance: 5/5
Overall: 4.7/5

3 comments:

  1. If not the same it is better than biore. I feel like this is less drying and cheaper pa. I just hope Watsons considers to make this permanent instead of seasonal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's how I'd summarize the experience as well. Have you tried this with makeup on top?

      Delete
    2. I don't usually wear face makeup. Lipstick lang madalas. Pero I tried this with powder foundation on top.

      None of my liquid foundations would work well with this and biore, my liquid foundations are water-based, they won't mesh well with silicone-based sunblocks :(

      Delete

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.