Powered by Blogger.

Review: Avalon Organics Botanicals - Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum

The use of vitamin C serum is one of the effective, well-studied regimen we can do to brighten our face and and prevent aging (here is a good reference). However, with the exception of DIY serums, Vitamin C serums can cost as much as 5000 php. So when I saw this serum priced at a reasonable value, I just had to try. Here's my review.



Availability and Price: I brought this serum from Healthy Options for around 900 php. Other serums I surveyed cost from 2000 php to 5000 php, so this one is something my limited engineering pay can handle . It may not be always available in your nearest Healthy Options, though, but the price justifies that extra mall trip.
New formulation (more sustainable).
Packaging: The pump can sometimes dispense too little or squirt too much. I've used two bottles of this and both had bad pumps.

(From here on, there would be two versions for this product. Apparently, my first bottle was made from the old formulation and the second one is a new formulation. Yes, I failed to check the ingredient list on my second purchase, like an idiot.)

Texture and Scent: Both versions are easy enough to spread, but the old formulation is much, much easier to work with. Both products have an orange-y scent which smelled like bad orange candy. Fortunately, the scent goes away in a few minutes.

Ingredients: The new ingredient list shows the ascorbic acid near the end of the list, indicating that the amount of effective Vitamin C is at a low concentration. Also, they added in lemon oil and bergamot which are phototoxic. The new ingredient list may be found here (link).

The old formula used to have less organic hooplah ingredients like lemon extracts or bergamot extracts and more of the good, and more stable form of Vitamin C (which it should have since it has a translucent white bottle). Here's the link for the better (old) formulation.

Finish / Effects: Both versions may be used with a moisturizer then sunblock on top without making my skin look oily. However, the new formulation made my skin feel tight after application, which I did not experience with the old one. Both formula did make my skin appear brighter (not whiter, which I do not aim for) and reduced the pigmentation from old acne. However, I suspect the phototoxic ingredients may be the reason why I have a slight discoloration at the right side of my face near the eyes which I got only when I was on second bottle (with the new formula). Thank goodness my glasses and BB cream can cover that horrendous discoloration.

Rating: For 900 php, the first serum is a real bargain. It is way cheaper than other Vitamin C serums and it works. But this is for the old formula! 5/5

For the new formula, which I currently have, I cannot recommend it as some of the ingredients may be phototoxic and may etch light brown maps on your face. It does work though, but be very very very careful and you cannot miss your sunblock application (which maybe I somehow did during one of those busy days). 1/5

So the search for a vitamin C serum begins anew!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.