Powered by Blogger.

Drugstore Product Review: Petroleum Jelly

As promised in the previous post, I will be reviewing drugstore products from time to time - which is why I will be reviewing good old Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Before you stop reading this review because "petroleum  = cancer", let me be clear that cosmetic grade petroleum jelly is safe. This very affordable and useful product is simply stigmatized by some unscrupulous marketer of "natural" cosmetics.

Bad luck Vaseline. 
Image from unilever.com.ph

Let's start with the real, non "anti-science" cons of using this product:
- The finish is very sticky and heavy. The product is quite thick and can take a while to spread evenly, as well.
- Petrolatum (another name used for petroleum jelly), because of its consistency, always comes in a tub which may be unhygienic if used incorrectly. The tub is nothing fancy too, but this is not really an issue.
- May clog the pores if used on not properly cleansed skin or skin already with comedogenic ingredients.

Now, with the pros of petroleum jelly:
- Cheap. Less than 200 pesos for a tub bigger than most Asian moisturizers I see.
- Very useful overall moisturizer. It may be used for cracked heels, dry spots on the skin (including face). For those using an Asian skin care routine but a little tight on budget, it can also be used as a sleeping pack over your moisturizer (your moisturizer must be free of pore-clogging ingredients or non-comedogenic).
- It is safe and should not break anyone as long as it is used properly - on clean skin or on top of suitable products.

Personally, I use petroleum jelly for my cracked heels, dry spots, and recently, as a  makeshift sleeping pack when my skin is feeling extra dry. I haven't had any acne so far because of my recent product replacement, but I will update here after a few weeks.

Edit: No adverse reactions at all. Yay!

Rating: I highly recommend this product. It is very useful that even if it won't work as a facial moisturizer or sleeping pack, that couple of hundreds is still well spent.

Value for money: 5/5
Ingredient: 5/5
Performance: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I use this a lipstick remover. Long-wear and matte lipsticks are very hard to remove and two-phase makeup removers can be too expensive just to remove lipstick. If I weren't wearing prescription contacts, I'll also use this as an eyemakeup remover :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, so it's even more useful for the makeup wearing crowd. Sulit na sulit!

      Delete

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.