Powered by Blogger.

RoseRoseShop, Sasa, KoreaDepart et cetera to Philippines: Think twice before you buy

Thanks to the internet, Filipinas have wider selections in skin care and cosmetics. A great deal of these treasures are found in online shops such as Sasa, KoreaDepart, or RoseRoseShop. However, fellow Filipino consumers like me should be mindful when purchasing items from online shops based abroad.

RoseRoseShop is a reliable online seller of Korean products, offering a huge selection of brands from the common Etude House to the novel Benton. In fact, RoseRoseShop is my go to shop if I need to buy product I like which can't be found here in the Philippines. Their prices are also reasonable and they have frequent sales. I love RoseRoseShop but I will think twice before any repurchase from them... or from any overseas online seller.

It's not because of the seller, it's because of this.
I bought a couple of sunblock from roseroseshop, which made me spend around $35, including shipping. However, I had to pay around $21 to claim my product! That's 60% of the total amount! Why? Because of Customs duties. And this is not the first time I have encountered the Customs people - I bought from sasa.com once and it was awful.

I was suprised that the Bureau of Customs now is a lot more strict in taxing all overseas parcel. (I should make a detailed Customs encounter post). I bought from roseroseshop last year but I was lucky at that time since I paid only a little more than a dollar for postal storage fees. Sigh, this government agency taxing us rigorously yet letting issues such as this and this pass by. The injustice!

Anyway, for all you who plan to purchase from online shops, be wary that almost any item you try to import in the Philippines - no matter how cheap or expensive, where the country of origin is, or if it is a genuine gift or not, from your loved ones or from  - will be taxed. And heavily!

17 comments:

  1. We buy a lot of stuff overseas, but we limit it to $50. In makati cpo they only charge us 50 php. I don't know what will happen if lalampas ako so I make sure I stay within the $50 limit. Kakaloka lang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, ayos pala sa Makati CPO. Twice na akong umorder online - roseroseshop and sasa. Nung sasa sa may NAIA ko pa siya kinuha. Di na muna ako uulit. Nagtitipid ako e. :D

      Delete
    2. Yup, ako rin, I'm from Makati! Rae and I share the same experience.

      Delete
  2. Also in Novaliches. I don't have to worry about taxes when I order online because I only have to pay 50 pesos. I just make sure not to order products higher than $50. Baka nangiisa customs sainyo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're lucky. Tingin ko hindi naman nang-iisa. Strict lang. Consistent naman sila sa pagreresibo ng singil nila. Never akong lumagpas sa 50 USD. Siguro kaya mainit yun mga pinapadeliver ko dahil sa foreign-sounding surname. Haha. I kid.

      Delete
  3. hi what if sa province po?any idea po?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea, Kate. Some bloggers say they paid only 50 php from their respective areas, so I guess it is a your-mileage-may-vary thing.

      In any case, always prepare an amount for customs duties. Be sure they educate you on how to calculate your dues (it is on the BOC website also), and give you a proper receipt!

      Delete
    2. ooohhh. thank you. I've been wanting to order in roseroseshop, but I am worried about this

      Delete
  4. I was wondering what shipping option did you use? Is it EMS or SAL? I'm planning on buying online but this tax business is worrying. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :( I've been wanting to order but I am worried

      Delete
  5. I want to try buying from RoseRose with a total of 30usd mga sale/discounted items. Do those stores declare the orig value or the purchased price lang? Natatakot lang ako matax ang items based on normal prices nila instead if the price I paid :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try buying from RoseRose with a total of 30usd mga sale/discounted items. Do those stores declare the orig value or the purchased price lang? Natatakot lang ako matax ang items based on normal prices nila instead if the price I paid :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you should only be taxed based on the amount paid. So a sale item will be taxed based on reduced price.

      Delete
  7. Ako po bumibili din sa Roseroseshop, siguro 3x na di ko pa naexperience un. Pero max na order ko hanggang 2kphp lang tapos delivery na sa bahay namin thru ninjavan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi did you choose rincos ba as shipping option? nagdedeliver sila sa mismong delivery address? I have tried althea kasi and isa sa mga courier nila ang rincos and they always deliver my order sa mismong delivery address ko kaya lang with roseroseshop medyo hesitant ako

      Delete

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.