Powered by Blogger.

Weird skin care ingredients

Growing up with messy skin brought me a fair share of weird skin care information from old wives tales to tips from the internet. Some are pure naturalistic fallacy or greenwashing, some are "revolutionary" anti-aging cures, and some are just weird advice.


1. Toothpaste on acne

My mom recommended the use of toothpaste as spot treatment for my acne during that time when I had a cluster of zits for a face. The toothpaste was new so I figured it would not be gross if I tried it. I did and it worked for some pimples. For the others pimples, the toothpaste treatment added to the disaster. Some argue that the toothpaste (in paste and not in gel form) can dry out the pimple, but with potential irritants in the toothpaste, this treatment is a risk for people with sensitive skin (like me).

2. Use of cat litter to exfoliate. 

Even if science does prove that cat litter is a good exfoliator, the stink is just too much to bear! Unless you would trust Snooki on that (here's the story plus the bad alternative)...

NO.

3. Use of menstrual blood as a deterrent for acne

This is a very popular old wives' tale from the provinces here in the Philippines. The tale goes like this: on the first day of your period, collect some of your menstrual blood and slather it all over your face like a Cetaphil wash (eww). Doing this will magically cure your face from the acne and make the breakouts less severe. I actually got a first-hand advice like this and thankfully at that time, I haven't taken my lunch.

4. Use of phlegm as a serum

Another yucky beauty tip, thank to this page (link here). One of the commentors said, I'd rather "allow myself to age gracefully, thank you very much". I share his/her sentiment.

5. Human sperm as cream

I actually thought the use of sperm as an ingredient in beauty products was a prank made by a guy set on not letting his cream come to waste (pun intended). Boy, was I wrong (here are stories from HuffPo and ever reliable Cosmo). But whatever sperm component there is, this is too damn icky and expensive. $250 facials sound ridiculous enough, getting semen from various donors sounds too disgusting. And if we assume one of our esteemed lawmakers is correct (ridiculous backstory here), this is murder!

A lot of guys are probably going to hell, if we assume the good senator is correct.
(Image from http://www.blessedisthekingdom.com)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.