Powered by Blogger.

Review: Nature Republic - Bamboo of Damyang

For the financially average person like me, stocking up on products (especially Korean/Japanese) is not feasible. Which is why I sometimes run out of HG products - I run out of HG product X, I buy at the nearest product X retailer but end up with product Y because there's no stock at the store. Which is how I got to this product I will review: Nature Republic's Bamboo of Damyang.

I bought this product for around 900 php at the NR's SM Megamall branch. I bought it because it reminded me of my HG product wherein bamboo water is a main ingredient. It did not feel too heavy on the skin when I tested and it is absorbed fast enough without containing alcohol. So it was good enough for a purchase.



The ingredient list is way too long and small but I still took the time to read the stuff (even the plant-derived extracts) because I am shying away from retinols at the moment. Do note I do not have encyclopedic knowledge of all these "natural" stuff. Anyway, here are the notable ingredients (in order of appearance):

Bamboo water - According to FutureDerm, bamboo has some antioxidants in it, though not as much as other plant extracts. I don't think bamboo grown in a particular place is better among others found elsewhere.

Cyclopentasiloxane and Hydrogenated Polydecene - emollients which are used to improve the appearance and texture of skin, making it soft and smooth.

Glycerin and Betaine - humectants which help to increase the water content of the skin by absorbing water. These water-loving particles can absorb much more than it weighs that it may pull up moisture from the deeper layers of the skin, which is why some ingredients which "trap" the moisture in are needed.

Ulmus Davidiana - as per this study, this plant extract has moisturizing and anti-inflammatory effect. I can't seem to find any other studies using this ingredient

Amaranthus Caudatus - according to this site, amaranth seed oil have emollient ingredients and high amounts of squalene.

Piper Methysticum  - also known as kava-kava and is used as a skin conditioning agent. However, there is some doubt whether or not this ingredient is safe. Ingestion of this product may cause liver damage - its absorption via the skin is not yet studied. (I just had an oh-shit moment as I've been using this product for quite a while).

Portulaca Oleracea Extract - has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Its use is contraindicated during pregnancy. Wait, WHAT?!

Jeez, those natural products aren't so safe after all. I just realized I should not be using this cream. It might have been acceptable for me if these natural ingredients are near the end of the list (as they are listed in by amount, from highest to lowest), but since they're way up there... *shudder*

Portulaca Oleracea blossom a.k.a Purslane. Another natural ingredient for me to loathe.
Photo by Didier Descouens

For those who aren't trying to conceive, I'll spill the rest of the review anyway. It is hard to apply as it does not slide well but the finish is just-right dewy. I do not find it moisturizing enough though, maybe because there are more potentially dangerous natural plant extracts over occlusives. Those with oilier skin may appreciate this product, while those with drier skin might need to add sleeping masks or petroleum jelly to keep the moisture in.

Rating: Personally, I will rate this 0/5 because I cannot use it anymore. But anyway, the cat's out of the bag so here it is (I am assuming the reader is not pregnant / trying to conceive). You get to use a bit more product because it is not slippery, it has ingredients that need further study and is not that moisturizing. 

Value for money: 3/5
Ingredients: 2/5 
Performance: 3/5
Overall: 2.6/5



4 comments:

  1. This is what turns me off exactly with "natural" products. Ang daming plant extracts and some, nagrereact talaga sa skin ko. In general, I trust products with fewer ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And suprisingly, there aren't a lot of studies on these plant extracts. Puro "appeal to nature/antiquity" ang dahilan kung bakit ginagamit. Lesson learned if HG is not available: do a reconnaissance ingredient review before buying.. else, simple products with short ingredient list is the way to go.

      Delete
  2. I have yet to try this brand pero parang natakot ata ako. Hehehe, By the way thanks for the info.
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always drop by their shop and test patch on an obscure portion of your skin. I gave my tub to my mother in law and she said it worked wonders for her skin. She's the type to penny-pinch but she's willing to pay the price because she liked it so much.

      Delete

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.