Powered by Blogger.

Random Rave (Anecdote): Salicylic acid x PIH (aka dark spots from acne)

My skin may be long over the "I have zits for a face" phase, but I still do get the occasional, hormone-fueled acne - which is quite painful and for me, takes a while to dry out. Weeks ago, I had one on my right cheek which I would not have cared about, only I am to get married in a month and my super excited mom was worrying about the big zit leaving a mark (yes, she is more excited about the wedding than I am). I reassured her than the mark will fade just in time for the wedding and she can rest her case of bugging me to go back to get a facial (horrible story here).

Little did she know I have a trick up my sleeve which I had been using with great results - Salicylic acid!


About two months ago, I bought a tiny bottle for less than 20 pesos, since I figured I needed a faster treatment than The FACE Shop's Clean Face Anti Trouble Spot. I was apprehensive at first, with thoughts that using it might sting so bad or damage my skin. But it is because of its very affordable price that I decided to just buy it - if it fails with the patch test or is too painful, then I can throw it away with not much hard feelings.

As expected, it did sting, although it was tolerable and lasted for only a few seconds. I was initially using it as an acne spot treatment which somehow was more effective than my previous spot treatment. It did not magically remove the acne overnight, but it did help accelerate the lifespan of the wretched thing as compared to not using SA.

Eventually, I used the Salicylic Acid (10% concentration) twice a week by soaking a cotton bud and dabbing it over the area with the hyperpigmentation. After two weeks, the PIH was significantly lighter. Now, I've been using a Vitamin C serum long before the use of this product, so I know it has accelerated the lightening of the PIH. In all, the PIH faded in just a month. 

This product is hands down the most cost-efficient product I have in my stash. Value for money is off the charts! 

I do not intend to use it as a peel for the whole face because it stings and nothing on the label says it may be used for such purposes. Also, I am torn with using Salicylic Acid (a beta-hydroxy acid, or BHA) vs. glycolic/lactic acid (an alpha hydroxy acid, or AHA) because I have somewhat dry skin (and AHAs may be more appropriate), yet I have clogged pores (and BHAs are more effective with the declogging). Yeah, I really do need to read up more on these at-home chemical peel things.

Anyway, 20 pesos and more than a month later, my skin is happier knowing that I can quickly remove any PIH (based on my experience, 1 months is quick enough for my skin), and have the confidence to tell my mom I do not need a painful facial. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, feel free to leave your comments here.